Saturday, August 1, 2015

Red Earth Classic 2015

So, the last race I did was the Red Earth Classic, up in Negaunee, MI on July 18th.  I had signed up for the "Beast" 32mi race but ended up swapping mid-week the week prior to the 20mi "Loader" race.  Two reasons - one is I haven't trained a ton, and two is my family vacation the week prior meant the family was going to be waiting for me to race.  Instead of doing a race starting at noon that would take 3-4 hours I did one starting at 10 that took <2ish (can't remember my time already).

The race was great, the start was in the same park that I remember being around/near for the Ore2Shore start a couple years ago, and started immediately up a big hill of two-track dirt atv trail.  Not enough roll-out to get the pack separated enough unfortunately but I guess that's how it goes.  Basically, about 50% of the climing in the race came in the first 5 miles on two track that honestly was not too fun.  Then we started alternating between singletrack and doubletrack for the remainder of the race.

My race went well, I was mid-pack as I'd expected but felt pretty good.  I was happy to have gotten out there.  I think the singletrack was fun, a bit tighter and not a ton of flowy sections like I'd hope for but it was mostly OK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment