Saturday, December 12, 2015

First couple rides on the fatty w/HED's

No real pictures or anything fantastic, but I've gotten a couple rides in now with the HED wheels.  I'm not in peak shape at the moment but I sure can tell a difference with the huge difference in rotational weight.  The tires are also ending up with a wider, squarer profile than they were with the 65mm wheels (the HEDs are 88mm).  I'm getting more self-steer at the same pressure from the Knard 3.8's, I don't like that but still working it out.  I fix that by raising the front pressure a bit but then I'm not soaking up the little stuff with these giant tires like I feel like I'm supposed to.  I'm settling in around 7-8psi on my gauge in the front and it seems to be fine.  Part of it is getting used to the bike again after a summer on the Scalpel or the CAADX.

I'm looking to swap over to the Dillinger 5's soon as soon as it looks like I'll be dealing with ice/cold.  If that never comes I will probably still swap but pull the studs out of the tires - at the moment I'm just avoiding that work and leaving the lighter knards on the bike.

I haven't weighed the full bike but I think I've lost about 240g/wheel just in rim, then rim strips/tape were another amount.  I wouldn't be surprised if I lost in total 1.5# while I gained almost 2cm of width of rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment