Thursday, September 18, 2014

Commuting and rainouts

So, I finally rode my bike to work this week for the first time of the year.  Wow, embarrasing.  My issue is I need to be semi-presentable for work and there isn't a good shower at the plant so I'm somewhat holding out for weather to cooperate and let me ride in at a "normal" pace without getting too dirty/sweaty.

I like riding to work, it's fun.  Need to do that more, it helps me get some precious bike time in which I have not had much of lately since Evan was born.  3 kids is crazy compared to 2, but I know it'll get easier.  I've been trying to sneak rides in in the morning here and there but I'll be damned if every time I've got my gear all set isn't a trigger of some sort for the kids to all sleep horribly, giving me 3-4 hours of sleep.  At that point it's pretty tough to get up at 5am to ride singletrack in the dark.  Riding to work helps that out as I can still sleep a bit later but get some time in.  I'm only about 7.5mi from work and it takes <30min.  The caadx is a perfect commute bike, comfortable but fast and efficient.  I've got road tires on it for now so it's pretty noticeably faster than it was on the semi-slicks.

This weekend was supposed to be a Marquette trip with some buds, like head up Friday, camp, then ride Sat and come home.  THis was the rain date from last weekend, but now it's rained out as well.  That means we're stuck coming up with plan B which is way less appealing and isn't jiving with the work conference call I have to be on Friday morning (this was going to be during the drive up to Marquette).  I think I'm going to have to miss it.  I think I'll try to squeeze in some riding though one way or another - either a 1/2 day Friday or do the WEMS race Saturday.  The Fatbike state champs is 6hrs, I don't think I've been training enough to be anything but DFL but I may do the race anyway just to be around the scene and get time on the bike.  The yampa is fantastic and I want to ride it more than my scalpel lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment