Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Frame bag!

I got cracking last night and worked on the frame bag.  Took about 3 hours last night to do this stuff.  Starting the evening I only had the drive side panel finished:





First thing I did last night was get the non-drive side made.  I've decided to do a zipper on that side as well with a map style pocket for thinner things, ya know, like maps, cue sheets, etc.




Next step I got to work on the internal divider from the non-drive side map pocket and the drive side compartment, as well as the horizontal divider that will go above the bottom zipper.  That seems like it will work ok.  I also added a mesh panel to the drive side panel to go just below the zipper, it is not very tight so it may just end up being a pain, but we will see.
Next up, I cut the strip that goes around the outside, then I sewed it around the drive side first, including velcro at the spots where velcro goes.
Next up was sew the non-drive side on with the divider, then turn it inside out!




Then I fit it on the bike - moment of truth!




So...

How is it, right?

It's good, it will function just fine.  I'm not especially happy as I was hoping for perfection, but for model #1 it will do fine.  I can see that I did not get the panels to match up exactly evenly across from each other, so my velcro isn't exactly lined up, and there is some bunching/twist in the bag.  I think this came from the corners where it was really hard to do them to be honest with the amount of fabric, the thickness/non-flexibility of the fabric, and the slipperiness of it all.

I think going back what I would do is not get quite so sharp in the corners and pay even more attention on when I'm lining things up to ensure I don't have mis-alignment.  I don't think I'll take it apart and re-do it because I'm sure this will get the job done for this season or until I try more.

I'll be evaluating the internal mesh pocket, the internal divider, the 3-zipper and other stuff.  I'm honestly not sure all these features are needed but I'm glad I tried them.  Model #1 will be good to really figure out what I like and don't like.

All-in, I'd say roughly 5-6 hours and $50 of material or less.

Here are links to my other posts w/material lists and first steps:
First panel post
Starting and making zippers
Planning/Materials List



No comments:

Post a Comment