Thursday, December 11, 2014

Reforestation Camp Snow Loop - Ready to Rock

Did a half day vacation yesterday, skipped out of the afternoon of work in favor of heading to the fatbike loop at Reforestation Camp.  It was fantastic. 

I ended up with a partial loop which I pulled out of to go put more air in my rear tire, then two full loops after that.  The bike was super fun on the singletrack and I think it'll be a real blast later in the season as the snow piles up and smooths out the trail a bit.  At least that's what I assume will happen - I guess I'll find out.  Snow riding is still new to me and I'm learning a lot.  Where I have grip the bike is just like summer, but it's like if I get 6" off course I'm off the packed snow and then it's near falls.  I did not have any actual crashes, just dabs where I had to put my foot down.  I definitely could see how I could go much much faster than I did as I get more used to it. 

I also really appreciate just getting out there, music on, riding away.  The world can melt away and I can just be "there" in the zone.  This is where I get my balance in life and I feel so much better when I have something like this to even me out.  I find myself enjoying group rides but if I ever end up doing >50% of my rides with other people I'd be surprised.

As for speed, fitness plays a part as well, I don't have my legs like I did early in the season, and even that I'm off from where I'd like to be power wise.  I signed up for a power class in January - computrainer style down in DePere on Monday nights.  I think I'll learn a lot from it and more importantly get stronger!





I broke my goggles so I've had to wear Kris'.  They are pretty nice actually, I'm not in a big rush to replace mine.  Helmet wise I'm good - this one is nice and warm, if not hot.  I will not need anything warmer.  I think when I'm riding singletrack like this I will want to have a helmet on, I can see why people don't wear helmets when just straight cruising on snowmobile trails as it is hard to regulate heat with a helmet.  I will think about this helmet though - I may need to drill some new holes in the front to get some airflow, there are a bunch in the back but I'm definitely not venting enough.  I could wear my normal mtb helmet with a beanie but to be honest that gets hot too.

Maybe pink is my color:

No comments:

Post a Comment