Friday, February 20, 2015

Nervous before the race

Monday's power class went well - no flats!  It was a good hard workout which was nice.

I've not ridden this week (per normal scheduling conflicts), I have been getting ready for the race this weekend.  I was pretty nervous yesterday but seem to be better now that I've packed a bit and have gear lined up.  Normal to be nervous for the race a few days before.  I have everything all packed and set now, weather is looking like it'll be good (15-18 and maybe some snow showers).

Here's how the packing came together last night:

Water I think I will run one big bottle in my jersey pocket, easy to get at and should stay warm enough there.  There are aid stations along the way to refill at.  For spares/tools I've got 2 tubes for spares (I thought about 1 but an extra is not heavy and I'd rather be able to fix a 2nd flat/tubeless issue and finish than DNF), one Big Air co2 canister and my mini pump, multitool.

As of now I think I will wear my bar mitts.  I know my hands will be sweaty if I do that (they still sweat down to -5 in those).  I also don't like them for singletrack and the race is about half singletrack.  Game time decision there.  I'm more thinking about the length of time I'll be out there and in hour 2-3+ when fatigue is setting in I don't want to worry about cold hands. 

For food I'm doing my normal endurance stuff - powerbar prior to race, powergels during (strawberry banana), water.  I will have a honey stinger waffle or two with me and I think I will bring a small bag of beef jerkey with me in case i want something more solid (that's a new one).  I don't think I could stomach that in the hot summer but it really sounds good when it's cold out.

No comments:

Post a Comment