Thursday, October 16, 2014

I'm 36.

Yesterday I turned 36.  Normal day for the most part, went to work then decided on a half day.  I would've really loved to just head home and do "nothing" for the rest of the day but with a 0,2, and 4 year old at home that does not really happen ever.  Second best was to head out on the fatty for a ride even though the weather was not so good.

It was in the low 50's and wet, not actively raining but it's been a wet week.  Due to that I decided on Reforestation Camp as those trails dry out the best.  Overall really they weren't awful, just a lot of puddles here and there.  Not so muddy as much as just dirty.  In other words, the bike ran fine, did not accumulate mud as much as just got wet with a fine layer of sand.  When I'd stop riding there would be a puddle under it from water dripping off.  Lots of leaves down as well which mean lots of slippery situations with leaves + slick + acorns.  The acorns were interesting, I could hear them popping under my tires the whole ride pretty much.

I'm real excited to get the bike out in snow.  Having not ridden in snow on a fatbike before it should be a lot of fun, I am curious what to expect from available traction, handling, etc.  I know when the trails are packed it should be a super fun, smooth, fast ride.  When they're not, it may just be a lot of work.  I'm hoping the 5" tires I've got will help a ton with ability to float and run low pressures as needed.  I'm still learning what works well on the singletrack and I can say somewhere between 8-10 seems ideal for the knards and my style.  Lower seems too floppy? and higher seems too bouncy.



It was fun to get out in the afternoon even if the ride wasn't great from a speed or fun standpoint.  The leaves are still pretty even when it's wet and the truth is biking is a great chance for me to get some time on my own to clear my head.

After the ride, went home, had my birthday meal of pizza and a great ice cream cake that Kris made.  She is awesome, I can't say that enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment