Wednesday, August 13, 2014

First Ride on the Yampa

Finally got out on the Yampa this morning for a ride.  Sorry about the pic, I did not realize it was so bad.





Didn't break any speed records, between lack of recent riding and learning the new bike.  It grips awesome in corners but I'm not consistent with it yet - I have to learn to use the grip.  It didn't help that on one of my first 50 corners I leaned hard into a berm which proceeded to completely blow away on me (unpacked sand), it was dark and I didn't realize it was not solid.  First crash for the yampa is out of the way, good news is my body shielded the bike from any damage.

Kind of a bummer this morning is riding this early now needs lights (started this ride at 5:45am). It was just too dark in the woods to not have them, even by when I was done it was still pretty dark in the dense spots and the lights helped. I'm glad I have a nice light.  I'll write more about it sometime but it's a Light & Motion and it's rad.

The bike is good - definitely way faster and easier to manage than the heavier fattie I tried a couple weeks ago.  It's stiff but that is completely negated by the give in the tires, kind of an interesting feel.  I kept having the front wheel further out on corners than I wanted to, need to adjust the riding style - turn-in seems to be where I'm going to have to learn.  Also, I got a lot of pedal strikes, ranging from just barely to hitting hard enough to unclip my shoe.  In the snow this won't be a problem, now on singletrack it's a minor issue I'll have to get used to.  I can say, I didn't miss it having suspension except for a couple spots, the tires suck up plenty of small stuff and keep traction really well.  I still need to play with pressures but I ran 8.5psi for this ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment