Monday, August 25, 2014

Friday half day Yampa ride

So this turned out to be a fairly busy weekend.  Friday I ended up planning to take a 1/2 day of work.  It started as planning to ride in the morning, then planning on riding in the afternoon, then leaving work early, then finally just decided to take a 1/2 day.  This meant the morning was spent looking out the window making sure my bike was still there.  It turns out it actually WAS still there and was waiting for me to take a ride.

So, I headed home, took Aly to a quick doctor appointment, then went out riding.  I headed to the reforestation camp to run those trails.  The WORS series is in town this weekend so I wanted to pre-ride and decide if I'd end up doing the race.  I didn't end up doing the race, waffled back and forth quite a bit, but decided on family time and taking Noah (4) and Aly (2) to the kids race instead.  They had a blast, it was really short but they got WORS number plates and medals so they were happy enough.

My ride Friday was good, the Yampa is excellent.  I'm playing around with tire pressures.  I'd done one ride at 9psi so I thought I should try higher.  I did a bit at 14 and a bit at 12.  I prefered 12, less of a beating.  I think I'll end up liking somewhere closer to 9-10 for singletrack.  The knards self-steer a bit when they're that low but it's grippier and smoother, just maybe give up a bit of speed on the faster rolling parts.  We'll see.  
 I took a lot of breaks, it was hot and I wasn't really worried about speed.  I rode 12.5mi or so in about an hour and a half I'd say.  Also took some time to reflect on how old my shoes are.  I think they're about 14 years old and just don't seem to want to die... yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment