Thursday, August 14, 2014

Selling a bike is hard

There are two rules of bike ownership.  The number of bikes to have is "n+1", where n = the number you have.  The other rule is "s-1" where s = the number your spouse will leave you for.

I just sold a bike and I don't think I was at "s" yet.  It feels weird.

What I sold was my '08 Redline Monocog 29er.  Real solid bike, rode great, it actually was the bike I rode nearly exclusively from when I got it until '13 when I got my scalpel.  It opened my eyes to 29er bliss and also its rigid, steel frame was great.  I loved the singlespeed, riding it mainly when I lived in Milwaukee at the Alpha trail/Crystal Ridge prior to the Rock days.  Not blazingly fast, but not too slow either.  It was fun building my legs on the SS, gearing the bike up from 32:20 to 32:18 and then being able to ride up everything after a while.  I'd expected over time to have to replace things on it - never happened, it all was just fine, never broke anything, no drama, it just worked.

The other bike I'm selling is my motorcycle - I expect that to be much harder.  The plan is for the buyer to pick it up the 25th, so technically it's already sold but it's still in the garage.  I'll probably cry that day but the yampa makes up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment